Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 13, 2007, 11:02 AM   #1

I have a 14 year old daughter traveling to Costa Rica this summer for a week on the beach and doing adventure activities and need advice on a good camera.

Because of the proximity of water and teenagers I know the olympus cameras are often water resistant but I would like one that i great for outdoors in bright light too. I looked at the Olympus 750 and the 770, does anyone have any experience or advice? Thanks
lebwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2007, 3:49 PM   #2

I've been using a Canon A540 for about a year now, and have been very happy with it. I know that this years models have some improvements, and will probably be even better. One of the main reasons I chose this camera wasfor the combination of features.

It's got a good automatic mode, so just using it as a quickie point and shoot gives good results, especially outdoors. It has also has shutter and aperture priority, as well as full manual mode. Then the final kicker for me was the fact that it uses regular AA batteries. The battery thing was key for me. I may not always have the opportunity to charge up a battery, but I can always find a place to pickup a set of disposable batteries.

I haven't tried the Olympus cameras, so I can't speak to those.

goodl luck

JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 3:51 PM   #3

My organization has 250+ Olympus Stylus series weatherproof cameras that are frequently used in sandy/dusty high heat environments. These have survived very well. The photos are often in very bright light and the camera produce good images in those conditions.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote