Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 14, 2007, 10:32 PM   #1

Hey guys you seem to be the camera gurus, and I am going to Europe in less than 6 months, and I have begun to shop digital cameras. My price range is $300 and under. I was looking at the Sony Cybershot DSC-H2 6MP camera at this link for around $239at several on-line dealers:

I have tested the camera at Best Buy and liked it, but I'm no expert on the quality aspect and how well Sony's name holds up in the camera business. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

cupper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2007, 9:31 AM   #2

On the average all the major manufacturers (Canon, Olympus, Sony, Fuji, Pentax, Kodak) products are going to be about equal in reliability. Almost all manufacturers have had a glitch now and then but overall produce reliable products. I am not talking about the weatherproof cameras from Pentax and Olympus which are designed for harsher environmental conditions and should be considered if you will be in high sand/dust or heavy rain.

An H2 for $240 seems like a good deal to me if you're getting it from a reputable source. The only close price/performance competitor that I'm aware of (12x zoom, IS, 6MP) is the Kodak Z612 which is available from $200 at Dell Computers to $250 from Kodak and various retail sources (Best Buy, Staples, Wal Mart.) I think the Amazon average price is about $220. The major advantage to theH2 is a faster lens at max telephoto, f3.7 vs. f4.8. TheZ612's advantages are a larger, higher resolution LCD screen 2.5"/230K pix vs.2"/85K pix. The resolution on the Z612 eye-level finder is slightly higher as well 230K pix vs. 201K. The Sony is also a bit larger and heavier which could be an advantage or a disadvantage depending on your perspective.

Both the H2 and the Z612 are on Steve's Best Cameras list and will give excellent results for the intended purposes. I have a Z612 and a co-worker has an H2 and we're both very satisfied.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:01 AM   #3

"Going to Europe... need a good durable digicam"

If you buy the digicam while in Europe, it might only need to be half as durable.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote