Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 20, 2007, 2:39 PM   #1

My wife and I are looking to get a point-and-shoot camera for the specific purpose of taking pictures of the kids in various activities. These activities are Dog Agility, Art related activities (art shows, artwork, etc) and everyday normal family things.

We are going to Disney World in 2 weeks, and I want to upgrade our camera before we go. Ours is just showing it's age.

The biggest feature that my wife wants, is the ability to shoot video on occasion. What she wanted was a new video camera, but after we reviewed how much we really use our video camera that we have versus the digital camera, we realized that the first upgrade would be the digital. We went into a local Ritz here, and looked at a few models and they showed us the Coolpix S10. I fell in love with the camera. It seemed to do everything that we wanted including, some video recording.

I wanted to clarify that the camera does really shoot decent video clips, and that the store clerk was correct in saying that we could shoot say 30 mins of video if we had enough space to save it all. (I am become more unsure of that, the more reviews I read about digital cameras in general.)

Our current digital will capture video but it's not the best quality in the world. But then again it's 3-4 years old.

Ok, so I was all set to get the S10, and about 2-3 weeks ago, Costco had them on sale for $239! I was thrilled, but I didn't have the cash for it. Since then I've been able to sell a few things and got a few extra jobs to make up the cash. I look on Costco's website and found that they don't list the S10 anymore. All they have listed is the L12. I was crushed, but the stores might still have one. But as I read over the information on the L12, I was thinking about going that route instead. And on top of that it's only $199, with a 2gb card.

So my question to you, given all that I said, will our family find the L12 or S10 a better fit for our purposes. Or that said, should I be looking at something else entirely. I am so confused in the process of looking at cameras that I don't trust my judgement anymore. But over the last few months, I completely trust the opinion of those here.
Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give!

Steve Eason
Vastidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links