Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 28, 2007, 2:17 AM   #11

Hi, I have the K100D with the same interests in landscapes and architecture as you have. As indicated before the Pentax has image stablization built within the body (so every lens is stablized - even 30 year old ones), the Nikon does not. Also as I understand it (since I have not used a Nikon for about 30 years), the D40 needs lens that contain the focusing motor for auto focusing.

There are a large array of lens for Pentax that are available. 35+ years of Pentax lens production, both manual and automatic lens are available at reasonable prices (ebay and keh). Pentax lens are some of the best glass around. Wide angle lens are a tad more expensive than telephoto.

I have the 18-55 kit lens which is decent and bundled with the kit is extremely cheap. I also have the 16-45 lens which is great. It is f4 however the newer 16-50 is f2.8 if you need something faster. Pentax also has a 12-24 (pricey about $600-$800) which is rectlinear along with a 10-17 fisheye (about $400). I also have the 10-17 fisheye, and it is not a traditional circular fish eye, but somewhat rectlinear - more so at the 17 end. There is also a very good Sigma 10-20mm wide angle available.

The K100D also can go up to speeds of 1600 - 3200, however the higher the speed the more noise you get - however you can get the photo and possibly post process it out to what ever extent.

Given the vast array of lens available, along with the current offerings, Pentax offers probably the best value - in terms of bang for the buck. They are also offering $50 to $100 rebates - see the Pentax site for information.

The Pentax has a 1.5 crop factor so the 10mm lens is really a 15mm (10mm x 1.5 = the traditional 35mm form factor).

The K100d is also only 6.1MP however I have not found that to be too limiting.

Now all of that being said, if the camera does not feel right, then its not the right camera for you. You need something that feels right to you. A clunkly camera bought for the best reasons will sit at home unused. All the dSLRs today are very good, there is no single camera make or model that is the perfect camera across all conditions, capabilities and users. Everything is a tradeoff. I would go to the shop and have both bodies side by side with the same lens, take a memory card with you, slide it in and start playing with both taking photos, going from one to the other. This way you can take the images home with you and play with them and see what you like and do not like. You can also determine side by side with the same type of lens on each what you like the best. Go through the menus and change the operating modes etc and check out all the capabilities - remember you can only spend the money once (usually). Make an informed decision - but the camera that works best for you will be the one that you will get the best pictures from.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote