Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 29, 2007, 11:32 AM   #1

Greetings, ladies and gentleman;

I have come to the stage where a dSLR camera would better facilitate my photography needs. I am not a hired professional photographer with a large company's budget to spare, nor am I inclined to blow the bank, I am just a beginner photographer with a self-restricted budget. I am not interested in fancy exposure modes, special lenses, or special lens elements; basically what I am interested in is reliability, trust, and support for the long term. I wouldn't like a camera that would go obsolete the moment it's out of the box, basically the camera should be able to accept a wide range of accessories from the manufacturer. I am not bothered by special purpose lenses or those tilt and shift ones (P.C. lenses), I am more bothered by the focal length that I am going to need. I have been hearing about the zoom lens versus the prime lens debate, and it would be nice if you could shade more light on the subject. Basically I am leaning more towards zoom lenses for their nice versatility and prime lenses for their optical superiority over zoom lenses; if you could advice me on that matter as well, it would be good.

I would like to spend within U.S.$1600 including a good memory chip.

Basically I want to learn more about photography, especially composition, which I seems to be quite poor at. I would also like to have the rule of third grid in the viewfinder if it is possible, since I often have difficulties trying to guess where the "points of powers" are.

I would like to have aperture priority mode so that I can experiment with depth of field; something I look forward to.

I would like to use my camera to capture photographs of my family, friends, and relatives. I would also like to use my camera to capture photographs of sceneries, landscapes, and nature. To add more, I would also like to use my camera to capture street photographs, speakers on stage, and for general all around use. Generally I photography under any lighting conditions with or without a flash.

I would like long battery life and preferably with rechargeable cells, not with disposable ones.

Perhaps a model that I could grow into for the long term would be good and cost saving in the long run.

Full photographic controls and RAW are necessary for me since I will be growing in photography and editing my photographs as well.

I have done some research, so I am not completely new to the dSLR world.

Generally all the dSLR models look good to me in the link below, and I would be happy with any one of them as far as I can see.

I do need big help in the lens selection part since the choices are many.

I hope you can help me fit a lens with a dSLR camera from the above.

Best of luck on the job.

I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.
Anderson_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2007, 1:24 AM   #2

[align=left]Generally I would also be printing my photographs from A4 to A3.

Is mega-pixels important for larger print sizes?

Old Apr 30, 2007, 7:27 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Megapixels can be important for larger prints, depending on the subject matter and viewing conditions.

For certain types of landscape and macro photography there is no substitute for megapixels. Viewers want to walk up close to a really large print and see increasing detail as they approach.

For portraits the same is generally not true, you can enlarge portraits to poster size without any apparent problem from a 6Mp camera.

You are correct, all of the current set of entry & mid level DSLRs would be fine. The best camera IMO at the current prices is the Pentax K10D. However you should also consider the whole system you are buying into. Do Pentax make the full range of lenses and accessories that you might want to accommodate in the future? There may be good reasons to go with Nikon or Canon. One way to tell is to consider what you would buy if you had $5,000 or $10,000 to spend.

But, all other things being equal,for your basic price I would suggest the K10D and a high quality starter lens, something like the SMC 16-45mm f4 Pentax lens.

That should be within your budget.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 12:26 PM   #4

[align=left]Greetings peripatetic, your advice is appreciated.

The Pentax K10D with it's inbuild high resolution 10 mega-pixel CCD should be able to fulfill my needs just fine. With a street price of a little under 1000 dollars for the body alone, the Pentax K10D certainly looks like a great bargain for a novice like me. Your recommended lens looks fine for its asking price just as well.

I certainly owe you many thanks, I have now found the device that I can treasure and use for the job; my family will surely like it.

Best regards.