Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 1, 2007, 7:52 PM   #1

The camera is for my wife and she likes quality and ease of use. I was told by the salesman at Costco that the SD600 is alot easier to use than the A630 but I needed to know from actual users like yourselves with more experience. The price point is practically the same and the following are the differences between the 2:

A630 - 8 megapixel, 140mm zoom tele, manual focus enabled, macro focus 1cm, aperture priority YES, shutter priority YES, LCD pixels 115,000, AA Batteries.

SD400 - 6 Megapixel, 105mm zoom tele, NO manual focus, macro focus 3cm, aperture priority NO, shutter priority NO, LCD pixels 173,000, Lithium ION battery and charger.

Which one would you recommend me buying?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
jude351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2007, 8:44 PM   #2

Jude, I have not owned either of these cameras, the last canon digital camera I owned was a 2 megapixel s200, a real dinosaur by today's standards. I read Steves reviews on both cameras, and if I were trying to choose between these two based on features and not price, I would choose the A630 for several reasons:

1. 8 megapixel(not really a deal-breaker)

2. Ability to attach auxiliary lenses.

3. Articulating LCD.

Your wife can shoot in the easy mode forever if she chooses, but she will have the opton to grow a little more with this camera.

She may also appreciate the longer zoom on the A630 as well.

Just my 2 cents :-)

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 9:24 PM   #3

I would also strongly recommend the A630 in favor of the SD600. The large flip out display of the A630 is really awesome for shooting overhead and other difficult situations. The lower resolution of the display is less important. The A630 has not only more pixels, it has also larger pixels, because it uses a large 1/1.8" CCD while the SD600 uses a tiny 1/2.5" CCD. Consequently the image quality of the A630 is better.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote