Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 9, 2007, 4:28 AM   #1

Hi everybody,

After spending a few years in the Powershot A series, I'm now looking for a camera to take a step further with a big-zoom bridge camera. The Canon S3IS is on top of my list, but I'd like to hear some comments and maybe suggestions of other cameras as I'm not married to Canon.

Image quality is probably the most important thing for me. Although I take ocasional indoor/portrait shots, I mainly shoot outdoors, when traveling, and love night shots such as this one:

First of all, do you think I will see a great improvement in IQ going from the A610 to the S3IS? I know the S3 has a smaller sensor, but how would these two cameras compare?

I was waiting to see the S5IS, but that was a great disappointment. The hot shoe is not really a priority for me, and the larger LCD is nice but not worth the extra $150.

I really like the feature-packed Sony's H9, at least on paper, but am still waiting to see the reviews... I also liked the Fuji FinePix S6000/6500FD with its highly versatile 28-300mm zoom range, but maybe it's a little larger and heavier than I would like.

My requirements are, in this order:
- great IQ
- min 6x zoom
- possibility of using filters/converters/lens hood
- preferably compact and lightweight

RAW would be nice to try and learn new things, but I can probably leave without it. Maybe I should also say that I don't really care about the EVF as I mainly use the LCD (and that I'm kind of addicted to Canon's tilt-and-swivel LCD).

What do you suggest?

scarvalhojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links