Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 18, 2007, 7:29 PM   #1

Just when I though I had made up my mind and was about to buy the FZ8... I tried my hands on a FZ50 yesterday and was very impressed. The SLR look and feel is great and some features are actually quite tempting.

Among the FZ50's features I think are most appealing to me are:
* flip and twist LCD (although it's 0.5" smaller than FZ8's)
* min apperture F11 (vs F8 on FZ8 )

Other nice (but maybe no so important) features:
* mechanical zoom and focus ring
* 55mm threaded lens (no need for an adapter)
* better physical controls (dials and buttons)

Features I don't really care (as of now):
* hot-shoe
* sligthly higher resolution EVF

Overall, I think the FZ50 it's a superior camera. The only thing that holds me back is that it's larger and over 2x heavier. This is a major concern to me as I mainly like to shoot while travelling, or doing long biking/walking trails. And of course the FZ50 is much more expensive!

-> Anything else I should consider?

-> How do these two cameras compare in terms of image quality and photographic/creativity controls?

-> Is the FZ50's larger sensor (1/1.8") better than the FZ8's 1/2.5"? I've read plenty about the noise issue and I'm prepared to shoot on low ISO (and RAW when it matters most).

-> What about the lenses? Any difference?

scarvalhojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2007, 7:44 PM   #2

Iwould suggest that you post in the Panasonic Forum.
shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 2:00 PM   #3

I owned the FZ30 and I only used the biggest aperture (f11) when I used a macro lens, otherwise I allways used the smallest aperture....

Both camera's can take good pictures, but they're two different camera's. They can both be set at "auto" and you can use it as a point and shoot. The FZ50 has more manual control, but if you think you'll never gonna use it, than its a waist of money.

I think the lens of the FZ50 is a bit better, it might be faster then the FZ8 (don't know that for sure).

But basicly it is up to what you want with your camera. Every walk I made, I took the FZ30 with me, and allways had the two raynox macro lenses with me and a Olympus teleconverter. The camera round my neck and the rest in a bag hanging on my shoulder. It didn't bother me, but hey... that's me! But if you say I want a small(er) travel camera, then the FZ8 would be the better choice.
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote