Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 31, 2007, 8:15 AM   #1

I work for a construction company and we take a lot of photos at job sites. Our cameras are used by employees who just want to point and shoot, getting many photos on the fly.They see a lot of rough treatment due to site conditions and staff manhandling. We're in the market for a new camera in the 5-7 megapixel range and my question is: which model is the sturdiest to use in the field?
SpecialOps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2007, 11:56 AM   #2

I don't believe that anyone has done a serious study on durability. My suggestion would be to take a look at the Fuji F-20 or F-30 cameras. They have received excellent reviews, have full metal bodies, and for what it is worth, my F-10 and F-30 have stood up very well when used extensively by our teenaged grandchildren. That has to be sort of an informaldurability test.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 1:41 PM   #3

The sturdiest will be the Olympus Stylus series the have the SW designation. I'd suggest the Olympus Stylus 720 SW. It is shock-resistant up to a 5' foot drop, waterproof to 10' and dustproof. I suggest the 720 SW because it seems to have fewer IQ issues than others in the SW group.

All of the Stylus series are metal bodied, dustproof and water-resistant (use in rain). My organization has 300 of various non-SW models and had only 3 failures in five years, all due to being dropped. They all have been used in extremely dusty environments both here in the US and oversees and are generally carried in cargo pants pockets.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote