Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 9, 2007, 5:47 AM   #1

Well after reading tons of reviews and reading everyone's advice I went and bough the Nikon D40 Kit with the nikkor 18-55mm lens for $470.00 and $50.00 for an additional battery - nobody was coming down on this and some sites warned of third party battery disasters.

I was going to buy the $800.00 18mm - 200mm lens but the thing is just SOOOO big and heavy. The store sells the Nikkor 55-200mm VR lens separately for $280.00. I will probably get this one next month's payday.

It would have been nice to get the all in one lens to make things easier but the kit lens and 55-200mm lens spearately works out to less than $400.00 ($350.00) running less than half what the 18-200mm lens runs. For $450.00 I can live with a bit less convenience. I figure the $450.00 can be put to something better - like a carry bag, or a flash or paying for picture prints at print places.

In typical Korean fashion they throw in "service" which includes a cleaning kit - an air blower pump and lens pads.

The D40 with both lenses works out to less than the D80 body alone and the 40x would have run another $200.

Now I am just praying that it will take better pictures than my Canon Powershot SD 300 4megapixels point and shoot.

Any advice on what additional things I need for this - lens filter (have no idea what this is or does so I didn't buy one because the salespeople don't really speak much English.

Thanks again everyone
RGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2007, 10:04 AM   #2

Congratulations on your new purchase! You might want to install a UV filter over your lens, and consider adding a circular polarizer down the road perhaps. The UV is very inexpensive insurance for that nice lens. Have fun and post some photos.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 9:06 PM   #3

mtclimber wrote:
... and post some photos.
Yeah! Let's see what you've got! :-)
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote