Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 24, 2007, 6:02 PM   #1

My sd-110 has served me well for many years now but I'm going to be doing some traveling soon and would like something newer and shinier to replace it.

- Small enough to fit in my pocket
- Quick shot to shot time
- More than 3x Zoom
- Image Stabilization (IS)
- AA batteries (maybe)

The contenders:

Canon PowerShot 710 - IS- 6x - small
Canon PowerShot SD800 - IS - 3.8x - tiny
Canon PowerShot SD850 - IS - 4x - tiny
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3K - IS - 10x - small

Olympus Stylus 770SW - no IS - 3x - tiny - but it'sshock and water proof
Fuji F31df - IS - 3x - small

randomfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2007, 11:58 PM   #2

randomfool, hi I am going to be arbitrary about this. I like zoom so my humble opinion is that the choices you have made are good, but only two stand out as far as zoom is concerned.

I have not owned either of these cameras, so I can't say for sure which does what better. I owned an s200 up until last year, so I am rather partial to canon powershot cameras. Mine was 2 mp and gave great pictures right up until I sold it last summer for nearly what I paid for it.

Both the TZ3 and A710 have basically the same size sensor, so all other things being equal(they rarely are), no advantage to either.

The zoom ratio, while being different, aren't THAT far apart. The TZ3, at 10x, is 28-280mm(equivalent to 35mm) and the canon is 35-210mm.

Viewfinders- canon has optical viewfinder while the TZ3 does not. In bright sun, that could be inconvenient.

Bottom line-again,just my humble biased opinion, I would choose the canon A710 for my appreciation of the canon optics as well as the optical viewfinder.

Good luck with your decision, maybe others will chime in on this as well--Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote