Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 6, 2007, 8:18 PM   #11

Hi scjohnson78,

That sounds like a great combination! The Canon XTi is 10MP which will provide ample real estate for cropping. The 50mm lens as a prime will be very sharp coupled with the f45 extends the depth of field. I think you will be happy with the results.

Here are some reviews for the lens

The use of the tubes, essentially will turn it in to a zoom, so you will be able to cover a nice range of focal lengths.

I think that you may have a winning combination there.

I was trying to stay in your initial budget, but I think your education just was streched out a bit more than you anticipated to include optics and photography.

Depending on your subject material, the sharpness of the lens should make for some interesting images. Actually hgernhardtjr suggestion on the Helicon Focus approach should be interesting if you have to have a near 0 depth of field and progressively walk it out over a series of images, his approach should render and interesting composite image.

Have fun - and hope you graduate soon....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 9:41 PM   #12

scjohnson78 wrote:
One limitation of my current camera is that even at a setting of f/8 some of my image is still out of focus. I'd rather the whole imagebe in focus.
As far as DSLR's, I'mthoroughly confusedby all the many lens choices. If I could buy a DSLR case along with a lens that met my above criteria I could do that as well.
The smaller digital cameras have smaller sensors, which give you more depth of field at a given aperture. Your current camera, at f/8 is giving you a DOF equivalent to around f/22 in a DSLR. If you use a DSLR, you will need an even higher f/stop, which will require longer shutter times, unless you increase the light level a lot.

One solution, using DSLR, would be to use a 70-300mm zoom macro from Sigma or Tamron. The magnification is 1:2 at maximum for these lenses. If you need more, a teleconverter between the lens and camera will give increased magnification without changing the focus distance. The minimum FD on my Sigma is 0.95 meters, which is quite long and should give you the necessary DOF. Another advantage is being able to get proper lighting on the subject without being shadowed by the lens.

Don't know your exact situation, but from what has been discussed and described so far, this may be a solution.

VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote