Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 13, 2007, 1:04 PM   #1

I am getting the SLR itch again but this time I want to purchase (if possible) a quality SLR and ONE lens that will cover my needs, e.g., 18-200 or 18-250mm. I have read some excellent reviews about the Tamron 18-250mm lens and if paired with a Pentax K100 with image stabilization, it might fit the bill and at a great price point too. Beachcamera and Buydig (among other vendors) are offering a $50.00 rebate on the K100 through July 31 bringing the total price to $377.00 with free shipping. Add the $499.00 or so for the Tamron lens and you have a nice package for under $1000. The Nikon D40 would be my SLR of choice but it is more costly, you cannot purchase the body only, and does not have IS so it seems that the Pentax would be a better match for the Tamron telephoto. I would appreciate any and all advice from more experienced users about how to go. Is the D40 really a better quality camera than the Pentax K100? Has anyone had experience w/ the Tamron lens with either the D40 or Pentax? Would it better to buy the K100 with the kit lenses - 18-55 & 50-200mm which is on sale for about $500.00? THANKS.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2007, 2:34 PM   #2

The Pentax K100D is a fine camera. I'm sure you would be happy with it.

I own a Minolta 18-200mm, which isa rebranded Tamron, I am not a satisfied customer, and am loath to recommend super-zooms of any kind. But as super-zooms go, the Tamron 18-250 seems to be the best of the breed.

But I remind you that it is a fairly dim lens, and poorly suited to indoor/low-light situations.

Also, you're not likely to see anybody using the Tamron 18-250 on a Nikon D40. Nikon's D40 and D40x don't have an internal autofocus motor, and rely on motors in the lenses. No Tamron lens will autofocus on a D40/D40x, no Tokina lens will autofocus on a D40/D40x, few Sigma lenses will autofocus on a D40/D40x, and few Nikon lenses will autofocus on a D40/D40x. The Nikon D40 and D40x are fine cameras, but I think this is a major disadvantage that few people are aware of before they purchase them.

And as to the K100D + two lens solution, the lenses are both good, but together they aren't anymore capable than the Tamron. But they are cheaper, so you might be able to afford a 50mm f/1.4 or even a 35mm f/2.0 as well, for indoor/low-light use.

After all, why get a dSLR, and only get one lens?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote