Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 20, 2007, 10:04 AM   #1

I've been reading various reviews here and elsewhere, and am starting to feel overwhelmed by all of my choices! I am hoping that someone here can help me figure out what camera is best for my family.

Basically, I am looking for something that takes decent pics, and is easy to use.I mainly take photos of the kids and family events -- I'm capturing memories, not trying to create works of art. I rarely enlarge past 5x7. I have no need for a lot of manual controls, I basically want the camera to do all of the work!

Ease of use is my top priority, both in taking the pictures and in downloading (or is it uploading?) to my computer. I am "upgrading" from a Kodak EasyShare DX4530. I've been happy with that, but we've had it for a few years now and it just feels like it's time to upgrade. (My son is starting to get interested in photography, so I am going to give the old camera to him.) I think my preference would be to get something else in the EasyShare line, just because I am comfortable with the software and I like the ease of just pushing a button on the docking cradle to download to my computer. (I also don't need sophisticated editing software -- basically all I do is a bit of cropping and occasional red-eye removal.) But if there's another camera that would be a LOT better for my needs, I'm willing to go to a different brand, assuming that the process for transferring to my computer (and doing minor editing)is still fairly easy. (I'm on a Mac, so I guess I could probably just learn to use iPhoto.)

In "upgrading" from the DX4530, I'd like to find something with at least the same resolution (5mp), preferably higher, that's a bit more compact. I'd also like to find something with less of a "delay" from the time you hit the button to the time the picture is taken. I don't take a lot of "action" photos, but I can't even count the number of times that I've missed the perfect look on my kids' faces because the camera takes so long to shoot. Something that does well in low light situations would be nice, but that's not a dealbreaker.

Looking forward to hearing opinions from some of you experts! Thanks!

dpmom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2007, 9:47 PM   #2

Get a Kodak C875or Z885. 5x zoom and large LCD. Easyshare compatable.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote