Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 25, 2007, 1:17 AM   #1

My daughter is very interested in bug photos but frankly will never have much in the way of interest in a DSLR. What she needs is a new camera, a P&S, that has a macro facility and which actually takes good shots too. Does this exist?
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2007, 8:04 PM   #2

The camera you choose should have a good lense and macro mode. It is not necessary to spend a ton of money to get a good shot. This is from my oly 765C which you can pick up on ebay for under 150 dollars. It's not a 2000 dollar SLR but it does do a fair job for a cheaper point and shoot camera. I think todays digitals all have the ability to do a decent job but you need to have perfection you will need to spend more money. It's all in the eye of the beholder.
Attached Images
eharrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2007, 11:11 PM   #3

Canon A710

The long end

Having said that (errr. "shown that") I think a Canon S3/S5 can do a better job at both the macro and tele ends of the lens, but you are no longer in the "compact" category.
reppans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 3:18 PM   #4

The Sanyo Xacti E6 or E60 has a terrific macro facility - and takes nice pics to ! These cams are great value in the UK or Europe.

For examples do a search in the Sanyo forums. One poster specializes in macros using these cameras ! STUNNING ! :|
Little Davel is offline   Reply With Quote