Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 7, 2007, 2:37 AM   #11

I think the Z750 is limited to 2Gb. It does have MPEG4 so you can put a lot of movies on a 2 Gig card.

Wait until you try the past movie mode. I hardly use anything else but I'm admittedly not a big movie taker. You just aim the camera and wait for something worthwhile to happen. When the fish jumps or the kid does the cute thing again you start filming. It includes the previous 5 seconds from the buffer. So you don't have to grind away in case something worth filming happens. Great feature IMO.

I'll share my card experience with the camera. I got a 1 Gig Sandisk Ultra II for it. There was some discussion on memory speed so I compared it with a Sandisk standard card I had in my Palm unit. I timed ten shots in continuous. The first doesn't count of course and the second comes almost immediately regardless of the card because of the camera buffer, so you are really timing 8 shots of card writing. The ten shots took 24 seconds with the standard card and 17 seconds with the Ultra II. That is almost a second a shot and applies to normal cycle times as well as continuous. MPEG4 movies were fine without missing frames even with the standard card.

I decided to move the Ultra II to another camera and bought an El Cheapo 2 Gig card. It was a PQI card listed at 150X. I figured at $22 and free shipping it would probably be slower than the Ultra II. Not so. The PQI card did the 10 continuous shots in 12 seconds. I ran the tests again with the Ultra II to make sure I hadn't changed conditions but it still took 17 seconds. I had thought the 66X on the Ultra II was probably overkill, but it appears that the faster the card the faster the camera cycles. I wish I could get my hands on a 250X card to run the test.

Get the fastest card you can find for that camera.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 9:07 AM   #12

Fujifilm F20 and it is less than $150
mlhm5 is offline   Reply With Quote