Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 10, 2007, 12:38 AM   #1

I'm looking to buy a digital compact camera to replace my aging Nikon Coolpix 990 which was great in its time but is showing its age now.
Things I particularly want are ability to take good photos in low light conditions, like around a dinner table or at a bar at night without a flash. I use the 400 iso setting on the CP990 but I find that often its not quite fast enough to take phtos in low light without a tripod, and also the photos are very grainy. What sort of iso setting should I look for?
Good flash capability, I found the flash on the CP990 very difficult to use particularly for close subjects. I found myself wanting to get an external flash to deal with this. the CP990 also suffered from bad red eye too...
Very low shutter lag (which I found frustratingly long on the CP990)

and also quick recovery to take the next photo would be good.

Any recommendations of cameras to look at would be appreciated.

jasonblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2007, 8:56 AM   #2

I was going to buy the Fujifilm F31fd but after I read up on this Panny FX33 have decided to wait till September before pulling the trigger.

Looks like it will have the same low noise high ISO usefullness as the F31fd plus stabilization, 28mm-100mm F2.8.

Still looking for a review but will have to wait.
mlhm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 9:08 AM   #3

Thus far Fuji has seemed to own the low light level/high ISO shooting environment. In my experience, Panasonic's cameras have been rather choosy about their WB. As a result a custom WB has to be set quite often in low light conditions. Do you suppose that they will overcome that on the FX-33?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote