Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 10, 2007, 8:51 AM   #1

I am in the market for a small camera that can take pictures in low light situations. I was ready to purchase the Fujifilm F31fd and then read abou the Pannny FX33.

I like the idea of stabilization, 28mm-100mm f2.8, and the burst mode (7 with one blow) and don't see an advantage (other than price $300 MSRP for the FX33) assuming the noise at high ISOs are the same.

Anyone have any thoughts??

mlhm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2007, 6:04 AM   #2

How about the Fuji Finepix F50fd with a large 1/1.8" sensor and optical image stabilization?

I recently bought a Lumix FX10 to supplement my Canon S2IS, thinking that a smaller camera would be one I use more often. But I was wrong. It's being grounded for poor light performance.

I think the ultraslim Lumix lenses are the bottleneck to picture quality. A legacy 4 year old design carried over from the original pocket Lumix, it's often rated for corner softness and its lacking resolution. Mechanically they are the slowest part of the system, lagging behind the electronics. Zooming is slow. Although the FX33 does have an updated Leica wide-angle lens design (since the FX07), it's engineered to be slimmer, as opposed to being quieter, faster, or optically superior. I compared this online and in stores before I chose the $150 FX10, although I still have buyer's remorse where non existed for my S2 purchase.

I think Fujifilm is one of the few makers dedicated to large sensors, at the expense of size and optical zoom range, but they do help get the shot. The F50 uses an SD card, too, unlike the F31.
mcjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 8:11 AM   #3

That has also been my experience with the Panasonic LX-2, which I recently purchased. On paper, the specs looked wonderful. However, in day to day operations the camera is not great in low light and rather sensitive to any variation in WB.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 11:51 AM   #4

I think the Panasonic FX33's image has more noise than Fuji's F31fd. Fuji is very good in low light situations.
Just check out some testimages.

You can find reviews here (includes Steve's works):

kacsorp is offline   Reply With Quote