Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 31, 2007, 10:11 AM   #1

Hi everyone. So after much research I have narrowed my decison down to Canon's sd1000, sd800is and the sony cybershot w80. I am having a hard time deciding which one to buy; which is why I am here asking the question.

What I really want is the camera that takes the best quality pics both day and night. I will be taking pictures os scenery, family and friends, and for many upcoming weddings I will be attending.

I am not sure if the 60-80 dollas more for the 800is is worth it or not. I see the main difference being the wide angle option and also having the IS. While the sd1000 does not have IS, it does have some of the highest ratings for digital cameras at my price range...200-300. Any advive would great on which one will take the best quality pictures for my use and if it is the 800is, is the extra price worth it.

srmcgowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2007, 10:55 AM   #2

None of the cameras you mention is any good at night without a flash. Look at the flash range and you will know what you can shoot at night. Stabilization does help a lot in limited light if your subject isn't moving, but "night" means "tripod" for anything out of flash range. You might capture some bright night cityscapes with stabilization.

I personally hate not having an eyelevel viewfinder. You can acquire and follow a moving target much better – especially when zoomed out. And LCDs can be problematic in bright sunlight. I would have a strong preference for the W80 over the SD1000 if the SD800 is too pricey. Some people don't use an eyelevel viewfinder even if they have one.

Wide angle will give you better scenery and help a lot with group shots in limited spaces. I think the SD800 is worth the extra price – but then it isn't my money.

The Fuji F20 and F31 were the best cameras for limited light shooting anything moving, but they are both out of production and hard to find at a reasonable price. The newer F40 isn't quite as good but might be worth considering. For most purposes ISO 800 is quite useable, and that works well in fairly limited light. http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu..._f40fd-review/

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 11:34 AM   #3

I believe that Amazon still has the Fuji F-20 ( no eye level viewfinder) available and it is priced at $149.99. I am also one of those folks who like an optical viewfinder, so I would line-up the choice as: SD-800, W-80, F-20.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote