Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 2, 2007, 2:53 PM   #1

It seems that when I want to buy a camera there are always three great tempting options, all with mixed reviews - as you can see all three models are megazoom cameras, very much like my previous Minolta Dimage Z1.

I've had trouble deciding between these three, primarily due to the Sony's huge screen, which is great for showing friends and family pictures, plus it's slightly larger zoom. The unnecessary NightShot mode seems like an added extra, along with the IR remote control, so please don't include these in your advice, as I can do without! Sadly, fringing seems to be a problem in telephoto images.

Panasonic's image stabilisation technology "Mega O.I.S" seems very tempting, and I love the concept that you can zoom and manually focus on the lens if you want to. It's got a 10 MegaPixel sensor, which I also find very attractive - but I don't really want a 2" screen.

I've had a go on the Canon, and I must confess that it's flexibility in terms of shooting options and image stabilisation etc is great - I don't really care about how many controls there are on the thing, and it's zoom time is excellent and the camera is almost completely silent. Overall the professional reviews seem to recommend it if you don't have the S3.

If you're able to give me any advice on these cameras, and if any owners could share their experiences it would be great. I'd also like to know how you would rank them in terms of recommendations (your best 1st, the worst last).

ctheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2007, 4:08 PM   #2

For starters why not take a look in the Sony Folder for a thread named "Favorite Sony Photos" on page 22 of that thread, uner my name, you will find that I have actually posted a camera test of 6 ultrazoom cameras. No, the FZ 50 is not in the group, but the FZ-7 is there, along with the Sony H-2/H-5/H-9 and the Canon S-2IS.

For those wondering about the Pana FZ-50, here is a sample photo just for you.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 9:15 PM   #3

Canon S5 IS is unquestionably the best prosumer camera on the market now. It has a hot shoe for external flash that not too many camera has except SLRs. And this feature alone is worth the consideration.
mingsdad is offline   Reply With Quote