Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 5, 2007, 1:10 PM   #1

The Olympus is going to be a nice upgrade from the disappointing predecessor, the SP550UZ, most notably its larger sensor. It outdoes the CANON with its 18x zoom and RAW storage, but it's over my head to try to compare the finer details of the two. Perhaps it's unfair to ask about a camera that isn't even out yet, but I'm hoping that what users already know about the SP550UZ PLUS the press-release about the SP560UZ, might allow for an educated guess about how they will compare.
STOOOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2007, 1:26 PM   #2

Everyone was more than a little disappointed with the Olympus SP-550. Therefore, I think it is fair to say that they are awaiting the professional reviews of the new SP-560 before making many comments.

Keep in mind that the 18X optical zoom field will have company. The Panasonic FZ-18 has already begun to ship and the Fuji A-8000fd will ship next month. Don't discount the Canon S-5IS, though it is has only 12x optical zoom, it is a highly rated camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 4:27 PM   #3

I agree with Sarah.

Also, having just bought an S5 I haven't checked out the specs on the new Olly,but I'd be REAL sure that they include optical stabilization for an 18x lens. Olympus has a habit of leaving it out or just using ISO adjustment. On the other hand, both Olympus' I've owned (2.5MP old one, 5 MP C-5000Z)has had pretty good IQ and the C-5000 was actually better than my S2 in low light.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

JohnGaltNY is offline   Reply With Quote