Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 20, 2007, 12:48 PM   #1

I'm looking to get my first dslr camera, looking at either the Nikon D40 or the Canon Rebel XT or XTi, what are the pros and cons of each one.

Also I'm looking at used prices on Ebay, if possible I would like an idea of a good price range for them including a lens.

Speaking of lens, what would be a good lens to start out with.

I have a p&s Canon SD700is
Thank you for you help

jonpe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2007, 2:52 PM   #2

The Nikon D40 and the Canon XT and XTi are quite good. There are a couple of differences that jump out.

First, the Nikon D40 is a 6MP camera, while the Canon XT and XTi are 8MP and 10MP cameras, respectively.

Second, while both Canon and Nikon have significant collections of lenses of their own and of third parties, only about 1/3 of Nikon's lenses can autofocus on the D40 (and the D40x, btw), only about 1/3 of Sigma's lenses can, and none of Tamron's or Tokina's lenses can. And some of the lenses that don't work on the D40 are some of their best. It's true that the lenses that do work with the D40 are many and mostly quite good, but one of the reasons for getting a Canon or a Nikon dSLR is the abundance of lenses available for them, and that is not the case with the D40.

There are other minor differences, like the number of focusing points, and the shots per second, which may or may not affect you, depending on the kinds of photos you intend to take.

What matters most is how they feel to you. If you aren't comfortable with the controls, you'll be fumbling around everytime you wnat to do something, and you'll miss a lot of shots.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote