Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 23, 2007, 12:11 PM   #1

I have ordered a K10d and afterreading several reviews am wondering if it may be too much camera. A little about my history. back in the 70's through the 90's I had Spotmatic II, ME , Me Super, and a ZX10. I was really into photography and shote several weddings and I really enjoy photography of nature and wildlife. I remember the ZX10 having the multiple program modes for Portrait, landscape, action etc. I got rather spoiled to using those program modes, however,I didrealize that they generally used close to the same settings I would have used anyway. I am wondering if the lack of the program modes on the K10 would be a disadvantage.

Another problem I have read about it the white balance issue inside using artifical light. Has anyone had experience with both the K10 and K100 who cam comment.

Litespd2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2007, 2:05 PM   #2

The Auto White Balance in Incandescent (tungsten) type lighting is not the best according to most reviewers.

But, you can set the white balance yourself (using either a preset for the type of lighting you're shooting in, or via a custom white balance setting). So, I wouldn't worry about that part too much.

Many cameras have poor Auto White balance indoors, with very few models nailing the WB in tungsten/incadescent type lighting. Most are going to lean towards warmer images unless you set the White Balance yourself.

As for the scene modes, I personally wouldn't worry about it. I've never used them on cameras I've owned with those features. Like you say, most of the time they're going to pick about the same settings you'd use yourself anyway.

There are pros and cons to either one. The K100D is going to give you a bit lower noise as ISO speeds are increased. But, the K10D is going to have higher resolution if you need larger prints and don't shoot as much in existing light. It's also going to have better build quality, weather sealing and more.

Just to confuse things, there is also a new K100D Super out now.

We have at least one forum member I'm aware of here with both the K100D and K10D. So, perhaps they'll see this thread and comment.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 3:05 PM   #3

For nature photography you should definitely stick with the K10D over the K100D. It's higher resolution, better shake reduciton, anti-dust and weather sealing give it some significant advantages in outdoor situations.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 3:08 PM   #4

I appreciate your comments. I have seen the K100 Super and I thought that for $100 more after rebate the K10d would be the better buy in the long run. I beleive I made the right choice for me. I have also owned a Fuji s7000 , S9100 and the Panasonic FZ50. Each had its strengths but not all of the versatility I felt I need. That is why I have decided to go with a DSLR. I don't think I will be limithing myself with the DSLR.

Litespd2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 5:10 PM   #5

I'm the one that has both the K10 and K100 (like having two camera bodies). I prefer the AWB on the K10 over the K100, but both are so easy to customize to your specific conditions that it doesn't make a difference. The K10 also has the advantage of being able to "tweak" the color to suit your individual taste, rather than (as I did in a shopping mall once) reshoot a couple of different "white" objects until I got the color balance I wanted (not all whites are the same - best thing to do is take along a coffee filter or a white piece of paper, rather than depend on finding something that is white). In any case, I've never felt WB to be a problem with either camera.

I've never used scene modes and don't miss them (my film background was with a Pentax ME - no scene modes). As long as you understand what changing the aperture does to a picture, and how it affects shutter speed, you'll be fine.

The K10's "P" mode is much better than the K100's version - the K10 has two wheels and the P mode allows you to change aperture with one or shutter speed with the other, giving you essentially manual controls if you don't like what the camera chooses without having to change the mode. It also has more controls on the camera body instead of in menus - I find I'll change metering methods and focus points much more frequently with the K10. So often I just don't bother with the K100. The only problem with that is that it's also easy to accidentally change something when you are putting the camera into or out of a camera bag, and not notice. I'd recommend reading the manual while you charge the battery, then go through it again slowly as you play with the camera. There's all kinds of options and ways of setting the camera up to suit your preferences,so it can be confusing without reading the manual. It could also be confusing to someone who doesn't understand basic photography principles (I'm assuming by your previous cameras that you do).

The advantages to the K100 - it is lighter, and better at high ISOs. With such little price difference between the K100 Super and the K10 - the K10 is a much better buy. Since you've got experience with manual and basic SLR cameras, you won't have trouble learning how to use the K10.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 1:02 AM   #6

If you have already purchased the K10D - do not look back, just go forward shooting pictures. White balance if off can be VERY easily corrected with the software that comes with the camera. Suggest that you shoot in the RAW format for the greatest control.

The K10 does have several features beyond the K100D/Super that I think you will enjoy....
  • It tags each picture with the orientation, so that you do not have to flip the pictures to view them correctly.[/*]
  • Its able to write to the memory while you are still shooting continously.[/*]
  • If you have had that much photography experience, you will have no problems.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote