Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 24, 2007, 8:34 AM   #1

I want to buy my parents a digital camera as a 50th Wedding Anniversary present -- they are taking a two-week trip to Europe.

Although there are some very simple point-and-shoot camera's available, as the number of features and buttons decreases, resolution and features like image stablizationalso drop.

Right now, I'm leaning towards a Sony DSC-W55. I have a DSC-W5 that I can walk my wife through blind-folded, but I'd love something with the speed, quality, and automatic features of my camera, but with only a few buttons.

Any websites that discuss this topic? Other suggestions?

Thanks, Richard

moWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2007, 12:54 AM   #2

I don't remember a new camera with minimum buttons except those with touch screen. But it's true, the cheap ones with less buttons usually have less features.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I don't know if your parents can learn fast or not (no offense). But for me, the camera should have IS, large LCD screen,and lightweight. If you buy a prosumer/superzoom, and they touch a button accidentally they'll confused and panic and ask you what they've done and what should they do. That's ok if you're nearby, but what if they get panic in europe and you're thousands of miles away and you don't really know the camera itself?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Problem with small cameras is that sometimes they don't provide enough space for our thumbs to hold the camera and we end up touching buttons.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"May I recommend Panasonic LS75, LZ7, or Nikon L12? They have IS but they're small and quite cheap (if they're quite cheap, i think they'll have less buttons). You probably want to check their buttons layout though. I saw Pana LS70 couple of days ago and i think they have a good space for my thumb and minimum buttons.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The other reason i recommend those cameras is that they use AA batteries. I'm sure they're selling AA in europe:Gand they're cheap and easy to get. Imagine if the camera uses proprietary batt and it dies in the middle of the trip. Buy a spare? Expensive. Charge them frequently? Only if you have the time and remember to do it.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Hope this helps
DChris is offline   Reply With Quote