Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 24, 2007, 3:50 PM   #1

For those considering the S3, Office Depot has a great price this week.Sale runs 9-23~29-07. I just got back from the store and ran into a hassle with the manager.

The ad clearly states Canon PowerShot S3IS $249.99 Before $50 Visa Prepaid Card By Mail plus $39 Back In Worklife Rewards.

The store tag shows $349.99 - $50 rebate. When it rang up that way, I showed the ad to the cashier, who then got the manager. He assured me that $349.99 - $50 rebate - $39 rewards = $249.99. I told him his math was wrong, since that equals $260.99. After going back and forth with him, since the ad clearly stated it was $249.99 before the rebate and rewards and not after, he dropped the price $50. I then asked if I'd get 2 rebates and he said yes. The cashier rang it up and only 1 rebate came out. So she had him come right back up and I went back and forth with him again. Finally, he took the ad and went to a computer. After a bit, he came back and told her to ring it up for $249.99.

So, the rebate is going into the mail today and I'll get my reward dollars at the end of the quarter. $249.99 - $50 - $39 = $161

Personally, I think the ad is a typo. I even said so several times to the cashier while we were waiting for the manager. I don't believe they're obligated to honor typos, but I got it anyway.

So hurry on in if you want the S3 for a great price; but be prepared to talk to the manager. Quantities are limited to stock on hand and no rainchecks. Also, if the store posts an ad correction before you get there, you're out of luck. So hurry before someone else beats you to your store.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2007, 6:40 PM   #2

I think by now, every Office Depot store in the nation has been made aware of this situation. It does appear to be a typographical error (and according to their policy, they are not responsible for typos). The manager should have realized that the worklife rewards for cameras is 1% + an additional 10% for this offer, for a total of 11%. 11% of $249.99 is only $28 (rounded up to the nearest whole dollar), not $39. 11% of $349.99 is $39. Therefore, I believe the selling price should have been $349.99 - a $50 Prepaid Visa (by mail) + $39 in rewards.

Enjoy your new camera.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 2:41 PM   #3

Did you actually get the 10% back in rewards? I bought a camera that week too, assuming that I'd get 11% back, but I've been trying to dispute it and no one (rewards hotline and store manager) acknowledge the sale. I'm only getting 1% back on an $800 camera. Do you happen to have the advertisement?
marthaj is offline   Reply With Quote