Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 4, 2007, 12:58 PM   #1

I am looking to buy a new compact camera to upgrade from my old Canon A70. I am looking for a camera that is compact enough to fit in my purse, not too heavy, takes good pictures (good for its size/class that is!) and has manual options (shutter priority, aperture priority, etc). It's important to me that the camera has manual options because I am hoping to learn how to use these on a small, cheap camera before I decide if I am going to make the leap to a DSLR. There do not appear to be a lot of compact cameras with manual options but after looking for a while I think I've settled on either the Fuji F50fd or the Canon A720IS.

Fuji F50fd:

Pros: small and light, f31 got very good reviews

Cons: only a 3x zoom, f50 is getting mixed reviews, limited range of manual settings

Canon A720IS:

Pros: lots of manual settings, 6x zoom, I am familiar with Canon and like my current A70

Cons: a bit bigger and heavier than the Fuji, slow flash rececyling

Does anyone have an opinion on which would be the better camera? Which is likely to take better photos? I am not sure what the image quality comparison is between these two cameras. I mostly take photos outdoors, vacation photos, scenery, sunsets, family and friends, pictures of the town where I live etc but I do like to get a little "artsy" and creative with my photo taking too

Any advice will be much appreciated!

kiwiweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links