Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 5, 2007, 6:03 AM   #1

Was going to go DSLR but they are just too big.

I travel a lot , cycling and walking, I figure a decent compact is more what I need.

I narrowed it down to Panasonic LX2 or Ricoh GX100. Any input would be appreciated.

My photography is virtually all travel, Streetscapes, people, views. In the "old days" I used to use a Nikon FE with Tamron SP 24-48 zoom., so when I saw the Ricoh has 24-72 I was pretty excited.

The Panasonic has the Leica lens though which used to be the ultimate, is the Ricoh lens as good?

I live in China so trying to talk to sales people is a real pain. Buying is easy, handling and getting explainations is hopeless.

I want to mainly use apeture priority auto which I believe both of these camera can do,even though it's electronically done.

Can anyone tell me which camera is easier to use in this mode. I am getting on in years and have trouble seeing the confusing array of info on the screen.

I know its pie in the sky to turn focus rings and aperture rings and set speeds ( which is what I want) but which one would be the easier to use?

I understand shutter speed and apeture F stpsand how they interact with each other. Depth of field etc. But when the dials show little faces. flowers and mountains I get confused. Do either of these cameras show numbers instead of little pictures.

Thanks for any help

bondy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links