Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 5, 2007, 8:57 AM   #1

Hi there,

Im in dilemma, i dont know if I should buy Nikon D40 or Pentax K100D. They cost approximately the same. As far as I know Nikon has more reputation, but I've been reading reviews quite a bit and the Pentax is good as well.

Can you please (from a professional's point of view) suggest me which one to buy, and please let me know why you think so...

Thank you in advance,

thelooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2007, 9:05 AM   #2

I am in exactly the same predicament as you, been reading up all weekend and still not sure. I have also included the EOS400D and D40x in my search, but I think theymight bea little too expensive when it comes to buying the lenses too..

Pentax: Seems best value, but is the focus time and burst mode too slow to use?

D40(x): Seems great other than the no AF motor onboard, smaller amount of focus points and lenses are expensive ifyou want image stabilisation?

EOS400D: Looks great, but I have read the included lense is not as good as the other two and lenses are expensive ifyou want image stabilisation?

Did not mean to Hi-jack your post, but I would love a response to this too!
anth0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 10:35 AM   #3

Both the D40 and the K100D are fine cameras. They both have some fine lenses available for them.

The D40 doesn't have in internal autofocus motor, so only about 1/3 of Nikon's lenses, and about 1/3 of Sigma's lenses will autofocus on the D40 (or D40x).

The K100D has sensor shift image stabilization in the body, while the D40 relies on optical image stabilization in its lenses. That makes the Nikon's lenses, with image stabilization, bigger, heavier, and more expensive. To be fair, image stabilization is only really useful with telephoto lenses, but having it in the body means you can use it whenever you need it, whether you're using a telephoto lens, or using a wide angle lens while riding in a car.

The K100D has 11 focus points while the D40 only has 3. The result is that the Pentax is more likely to focus correctly on sports and wildlife shots. The burst mode of the D40 is2.5 frames per second, and the K100D can do 2.8.

The D40 is lighter at 17 oz. to the K100D's almost 20 oz.

Hope this helps.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 11:24 AM   #4

Personally I am almost set to hit buy on the Pentax (Super), my only lasting concern is the report of slow focus and limited burst mode.

Does anyone know how this compares with the D40?

Also, is the Pentax's flash auto popup like on the D40?
anth0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 9:48 PM   #5

I'm no pro, just an amateur who likes to take pictures. I haven't looked at the D40, since I bought the K100 before it came out, so I can't compare the two cameras. I can only tell you what I think of the K100, based on personal experience.

Burst rate might or might not be of interest to you - as TCav pointed outthe K100is faster than the Nikon D40. I think I've only used it a couple of times so it is not at all important to me. My main subjects include flowers and other macros, some sports, some birds, street scenes, lots of landscape and travel pictures. I found that the sports I've shot have been predictable (tennis, track, horse shows along with a bit of surfing)and I've had better luck using timing instead of burst mode, but that's not true of all sports. It really does depend on your particular subject.

The K100's flash will automatically pop up if you are using the green, auto mode or one of the scene modes. If you use P, Av or Tv modes you have to put the flash up yourself - something I far prefer, I like tomake up my own mind about whether to use the flash or not. So you can leave it to the camera or not, your choice. I don't know how the D40 works.

I'm not a particular fan of the D40X - it is more expensive and the extra mp doesn't necessarily mean you'd get a better picture (I've used both the K10 (10 mp) and the K100 (6 mp) and as far as basic image quality, I don't see much difference between the two). I've only printed pictures up to 8 x 11 and a 6 mp picture prints very well at that size. I can see reasons for buying the Nikon D40 (cost and weight) while if I really wanted more mp, I'd opt for the D80 and the additional features it offers.

It used to be that the Pentax was a really good buy because you can use any Pentax lens ever made (though the M42 screw-mount lenses require an adaptor) and you USED to be able to pick up outstanding lenses (older top of the line ones) for not much money. Unfortunately, the popularity of the K100 and K10 has led to a huge inflation in the cost of used lenses, with many non-photographers buying them hoping to resell them at a profit. The word is out about that and few people sell to places like keh or other camera stores, making it harder to find good deals on used lenses. It's great if you happen to own some old lenses from film days, but not if you are buying. The one warning on old lens buying - old lenses retain whatever capability it had when it was made, but doesn't lose any function. In other words, a manual focus/manual exposure lens will still be manual focus/manual exposure. But it also means that an auto focus/auto exposure will still be auto focus/auto exposure, something that may or may not apply to the D40 (as was mentioned above).

One thing I don't quite agree with is that SR is only useful with long telephoto lenses. This is true if you are outside shooting in good light, where a long lens will magnify any camera shake a person might have (I have much more than I used to - anti shake is a big deal for me). However, SR is useful whenever you have a slow shutter speed. Since I don't have a separate flash unit (on my wish list), and don't particularly like flash photos, I love having SR with wide angle lenses in low light. It's made it possible to take night lights on the Strip in Las Vegas without having to drag around a tripod. But that won't apply to others - it depends on you. Image stabilization will be useful for some (like me) but not for others.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote