Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 18, 2007, 6:16 PM   #1

I have a dilema based not so much for $$ but for the features of these two cameras. I am planning a trip to Africa for a photo safari and do not want to deal with dust & changing lenses, and let's face it ..I am a moderately experienced photographer. These both have great reviews for what they do so my question, if you were going to photograph wildlife which would you choose? The big differences I see are no external flash on the 18K, difference of 18XZoom vs 12XZoom (help), and the 18K has a wider angle lens..28 vs 35mm. I am definitely torn but definitely going with a Panasonic. Really appreciate anyones thoughts.
LindaReal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2007, 1:27 AM   #2

'Just a quick thought. The smaller size of the FZ-18, might make for easier traveling. I guess it depends on how much you need that hot shoe?? I have the FZ-18 and have used the FZ-50. I like the FZ-18 a bit better. Here is a FZ-18 sample.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 10:19 AM   #3

Photo Safari? I think you have answered you own question. Get the longest zoom you can. How often are you going to need an external flash on your vacation?
richwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 1:47 PM   #4

About two years ago, aftertesting about 15 pounds of Canon lenses, case, etc. for our African trip,I saw a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ20 and bought one. We toured Kenya in a Toyota Land Cruiser, stayed in great hotels, and even the tent camps were luxurious.

Many of the animalswere so used to seeing Toyotas that we could approach within a few yards, soa minimalzoom gave excellent closeups of lions, cheetahs, elephants, giraffe & baboons. The various antelopes were more skittish so the zoom was very handy. I took almost 200 photos with the Lumix and they easily enlarge for printing up to Super B (13' x 19) with no loss of focus and great color.

hubbardl is offline   Reply With Quote