Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 20, 2007, 12:17 PM   #1

Howdy Folks, What would one need in terms of camera/camcoder and computer/software if they wanted to extract decent quality [about 3MP] stills from the recorded video?

I bought a miniDV Camcorder hoping to extract some nice stills from the video recording. Recorded to the Flash and viewed on the computer. The resolution was abysmal. Reading the manual more attentively revealed a still resolution of 640x480.

I wonder how the video capture resolution is correlated to the still capture resolution? Is video recorded to Flash lower resolution than if recorded to miniDV?

After searching the archives, now I am asking myself if it is possible to extract 3MP stills from recorded video? The questions to answer next are what
camera/camcoder would suitable? Then to capture a still, is it as simple as playing the video on the computer and grabbing any frame, or is some special editing hardware/software needed to preserve the still quality of about 3MP?

Your insight would be greatly appreciated.
mas572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2007, 1:55 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Amazingly I just stumbled across this software when looking for a response for another thread.

I've never used it though...

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote