Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 22, 2007, 7:43 PM   #1

I have been thinking about buying another camera (nikon d200)andpossibly a grey market one. Has anyone bought one before and does the body only units have a battery, charger, menus in english? or is there something more i need to worry about in grey market units? thanks for all the help.
itzameeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2007, 7:59 PM   #2

Nikon will refuse to service a gray market camera (one not intended for the region you live in), even if you are willing to pay them for the service. Nikon USA and Nikon Canada have this policy.

I'd buy from an Authorized Nikon Dealer in the country you live in.

Also, many of the dealers selling gray market gear are scam artists (i.e., you can't actually buy just the camera for the advertised price).

They'll try to sell you overpriced memory cards, batteries, extended warranties that may not be worth the paper they're written on, tack on high unauthorized shipping and insurance charges, sell camera packages filled with very poor quality lenses and accessories to increase their profits and more. You'll often end up paying more than you would have buying a camera from an authorized dealer anyway.

If you don't buy the extras, your order often goes to backorder status.

Always research a vendor carefully. I'd suggest using the store ratings search feature at http://www.resellerratings.com

Here is an article I'd suggest reading, too.

How to Buy a Digital Camera without being Robbed

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2007, 8:05 PM   #3

I agree with JimC completely. Why do I agree 100%? Because I have seen both sides of the equation first hand: gray market and USA market. Whatever you save when you buy (the front end), will be erased by 2 or 3 times when you need service (the back side of the equation).

The initial saving is just not worth the grief, when you need service.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 10:09 AM   #4

JimC thanks for your help/advice i think i will just sell my current unit to help justify the cost for the new.
itzameeh is offline   Reply With Quote