Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 25, 2007, 11:45 AM   #1

I have been slowly reading up on the dslrs. I have an older Nikon with 2 lenses and was going to purchase the D40x, but since I can't use my older lenses (at least not auto) I am looking at the Rebel XTi. I have a few questions.

The first question is about hidden costs. My basic uses are for every day stuff. like 2 young kids, the occassional vacation scenery and the like. My kids are young, so maybe sports photos down the line, but I have time for that to develop.I read about the need for larger memory cards and a bigger/faster computer....This is a dumb question, but am I able to reset the camera to take pictures that are less than 10 megapixels for eery day and then reset it to 10 megapixels for shooting more professional type pictures to enlarge? I like the idea of large prints, but will not be using them a lot... My other option is to move back toward the nikon D40 or similar 6 megapixel.

Another queston, I have been reading about image stabilization on some of the cameras and lenses.....does the reble XTi have an image stabilization system? I have been looking around and heven't really seen it mentioned.

Thanks for bearing with a beginner!

fink38@sbcglobal.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2007, 11:52 AM   #2

yes you certainly can change the settings to your needs

I have a CanonS5IS - had it for about 2 weeks now - so far am very happy - like you don't need the big mega pixels all the time. Check out the "IMAGE DATA SIZE" settings you can adjust accordingly there. Make sure if you get a camera to buy one at the "camera store" - they will teach you how to use it - I got a couple of hours of lessons at no cost and continue to go back to ask lots of questions.

this is coming for a beginner as well. Good luck!
Fergie1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 11:54 AM   #3

Ya really don't need 10 - I think even Steve advises between 6-8??
Fergie1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 12:07 PM   #4

Contrary to the previous advisors, you do need the megapixels if you wish to make large prints or do severe cropping. The XTI is an excellent camera at an outstanding price. I would recommend NEVER setting it for anything less than full resolution. Memory and storage is inexpensive today.

As to stabilization. The XTI does NOT have it in the camera body, itself. It requires image stabilization lenses, which are quite costly. One camera that has stabilization built into the body with a plethora of lenses (old and new) available for reasonable costs, is the Sony Alpha series.

Personally, if you have the money to invest, the XTI with a good f2.8 lens (stabilized or not) would give you outstanding photos indoors and of fast moving children and I can recommend it. While I am currently partial to Canon, I also use Sony cameras and over my 50 years plus of photography experience, I can say it is how you use the camera that counts far more than the equipment. Purchase a Nikon, Canon, Sony ... your choice ... but learn to use it and understand the interrelationships of f-stop, speed, lighting, and focus.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 6:46 PM   #5

There has really been some good info within this thread. I happen to agree that you do indeed need 10mp when you are doing 16" X 20" enlargements or doing a lot of cropping. I have three 10mp DSLR cameras and make some excellent sales of 16" X 20" prints. After all, that is what pays for those cameras.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 7:06 PM   #6

I happen to have both a 6 mp and a 10 mp dSLR camera. The 6 mp camera files print very nicely at 8 x 10, even with some cropping. I've never tried to print anything larger - haven't had a need or desire for one, and I'm not looking to get rid of the 6 mp camera (I've had both cameras for a year now, I like having two bodies so I can keep different type of lenses on each body, comes in handy). So while some people who do significant cropping will want 10 mp (I was glad to have them when I was taking a series of pictures of tiny raindrops), many won't care. The 6 mp camera I have has lower noise than the 10 mp camera, so I didn't take the larger, heavier, 10 mp camera for a Thanksgiving family gathering this past weekend (and I do like the quality of images I get from the 6 mp camera).

On the other hand, memory is cheap, and I have a large external hard drive. My computer is a 3 year old laptop (that I did add more memory to, but that was due to a program I use). I wouldn't rule out a 10 mp camera just because of the file size.

Both Nikon and Canon put image stabilization into their lenses, rather than in their bodies - so you would have to buy their more expensive VR lenses to get it. Sony and Pentax both offer stabilization in-camera so any lens you own is stabilized. How important is it to you? When I was younger I didn't find myself wanting stabilization at all, but now I'm not as steady (and find I need stabilization).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 10:47 PM   #7

I have routinely used the 5Mpix setting, well compressed,on my Kodak Z712is when just out snapshotting (artistically, of course!).I use the full 7Mpix when I know I'm going to crop, usually because I can't get close enough, or when I'm after very best quality. I've often found adequate quality with 5Mpix even for 18x12s & large (30-inch plus) printed panoramas, with this and my previous cameras, provided the shot is otherwise nice & sharp. Good lens, lack of shake, good lighting are just as important. and more so if you have a nice large dSLR sensor.

Many excellent images were taken only a few years ago when 3Mpix was the norm. Good interpolation software will fill in the dots for large prints. I notice that modern printing machines seem to do this rather well.

Where I have found the larger number of pixels a nuisance is in storage rate in the camera. If I take bracketed or burst shots at 7Mpix, moderately compressed,I find myself waiting for the camera to catch up because its buffer is full. This is far less noticeable on 5Mpix.

I could try faster, more expensivecards, but opinions seem to differ on whether this will make any difference (is the camera rate-limiting?). Also it negates the price revolution in cheap largememory cards.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 10:49 PM   #8

Lots of people will tell you to go with more megapixels for those large prints. But the truth is most people never print anything bigger than an 8x10 unless they are pro's selling them. And even that depends on what type of shots and selling to whom.

As for computer power I have a six meg camera shoot in RAW and have no problem with my 5 year old 2.5ghz machine.

As for storage external HD's are getting cheaper every day.

Unless you think you will be making those big prints I don't think megapixels would sway me one way or the other.

I use my old Nikon lenses on my D50 in manual mode, all the time. Its really no big deal, after all you have instant feedback on the LCD and a histogram. You will have to keep checking in changing light conditions however. On the other hand if you only have two lenses it might not really be a factor in choosing a camera.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote