Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 25, 2007, 2:56 PM   #1

I am looking to upgrade my current Panasonic TZ1. One of the must have features that I can't lose in the upgrade is the ability to zoom during digital movies. Anyone have a list of the cameras that can do this? I am looking for a camera similar in size to the TZ (I know the S5 IS is a great option, just too big for me). Thanks.
2sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2007, 3:23 PM   #2

EX-V8, small and compact, but image quality isn't that good because of the small lens.
qweqwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 9:40 AM   #3

Samsung S850 and S1050. Go with the S850 - although it has two fewer megapixels, it's supposed to have better image quality, much better start up and shot-to-shotperformance and better low light abilities, not to mention a longer lasting battery (which is pretty weak on the S850, so if the 10mp version is worse, it's got to be really attrocious).Either the 800x592 or the 720x480 resolutions have nice video although a bit jittery at 20fps and luckily these Samsungs use MPEG-4 file compression so you can get almost twice therecord time for a given size memory card at the higher 800x592 resolution than you could with atypicalCanon shooting at 640x480VGA resolution. It has zooming during the movie mode, butthe audio goes out while you are zooming; it doesresume once you stop zooming, though, but the microphone is a bit weak. If you get one of these Samsungs, to get tolerable battery life, do the following: 1) turn the LCD screen setting to power saver mode (gives you at least 1/3 longer battery life); and 2) buy either 2700+ mAh rechargeables, a CRV3 lithium rechargeable pack (fits in the 2 AA space), or try a low discharge battery like the Sanyo Enerloop. Video mode really, really drains the batteries, although if you turn the camera off for five minutes, you may find you have enough battery power for another 50 still photos.
whinystan is offline   Reply With Quote