Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:11 PM   #1

I'm trying to find put together a kit for shooting adult soccer games, andeveryday use - depending on what I can find available.

I can't find exactly what was recommended to me, so I could use some help.

A Canon body with either an inexpensive 100-300mm zoom with f/3.5-4..., or f4, with a lense for everyday use -and plan to purchase a 70-200mm f2.8 zoom in the Spring.

Or I could go ahead and purchase a Canon70-200mm f/2.8 and Teleconverter.

Found these Possibilities:

Canon EOS 40D body $ 1199 No 100-300mm lens found

Canon EOS 30D body $909

Sigma Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 28-70mm f/2.8-4 DG Compact High Speed Zoom Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS at US1Photo $85.00

Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro Autofocus Lens for Canon Digital EOS $379 US1Photo

Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro Autofocus Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras US1Photo $315

Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro Autofocus Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras US1Photo $335

Tamron Zoom Super Wide Angle SP AF 17-35mm f/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical IF Autofocus Lens US1Photo $299 Model # TAM1735CN

Tamron Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Autofocus Lens US1Photo $389 ??model#, how diff from above?

Sigma Zoom Telephoto 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO Macro HSM Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS US1Photo $779

There was no 100-300

aj37167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2007, 8:24 AM   #2

First, there are a number of forum members that shoot adult soccer, and so you might benefit from browsing the Sports & Action Photosforum to see what types of lenses others are using.

I believe that a 100-300mm zoom would serve you well if you're on the sidelines, but from the stands, you might be better off with something like 200-400 or even longer. And for day games, even with overcast skies, something with a maximumaperture of f/4.0 would allow you to use a shutter speed fast enough to capture the action without significant motion blur.

But for night games, I think you'd need something with a maximumaperture of f/2.8. Long lenses with maximum apertures of f/2.8 are extraordinarily expensive (not to mention, big and heavy), so you may want to consider a shorter focal length lens.

As to "everyday use" the kit lens might work for most things, and has the advantage of being a lot less expensive than most of the standard zoom lenses you've mentioned. For "everyday use" people typically use a lens whose focal length provides an angle of view similar tothe angle of view of the human eye. On a 1.6 crop factor dSLR like the Canons you mentioned, that would be about 30mm. All the standard zoom lenses you mentioned encompass that focal length, but some go longer but not much wider (28-75), while others go wider but not much longer (17-35). The kit lens (18-55) covers the range nicely, but the lenses you mentioned have the advantage of larger maximum apertures, which might permit you to take photos indoors without using a flash, though they are more expensive. (You also left out a favorite of mine, the http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/1750_diII_a016.asp ) (I will also say that, while theyoffer good prices,US1Photo's selection is not as good as others, and it is harder to search for what you want than some other websites I've seen. I think Adorama has the easiest method for searching for lenses, but even their selection isn't as good as B&H Photo Video.)

Basically, if you don't want to go with the kit lens, you need to decide what "everyday use" means. Would it be outdoors (i.e. daylight, backyard, family and friends, etc.) or indoors (i.e. artificial light, small groups. etc.). Would it be wide angle (i.e. landscapes/cityscapes, architectural, groups, etc.) or longer (i.e. portraits, candids, etc.). And is the use of flash acceptable?

If you've done a lot of photography, examine the photos you've got to see what you've been shooting so far. If you don't have a lot of experience with photography, you might be better off with the kit lens so you can start with an inexpensive general purpose lens, and see where photography takes you before you spend a lot of money on a lens that might not work well for you.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote