Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 30, 2007, 11:39 AM   #1

I really love my Canon A70 and am looking for its replacement - but with a better zoom. What I like about the A70 that I'd like in my next camera: pocketability, near-unbelievable durability (dropped and submerged in water many times!), image quality, AA batteries, sound memos, hand-held operation, low-light photos that look great, easily navigable menu & controls.

Most of my photos are taken hiking/backpacking (wildlife, nature, & landscape photos - thus wanting more zoom) and traveling internationally (AA batteries and durability)
I usually shoot in "P" mode for control over ISO, exposure, etc. (other modes are useful too) but very rarely use flash or a tripod.

So I've been looking at the A720 IS and SX100 IS. I was quite impressed by the SX100's 10x zoom (in full light) and the small size. However, it seemed more cheaply put together than the 720, especially the 4 buttons below the screen.

One store let me take the SX100 outside in the city at dusk, and the pictures came out nothing but blur (played around a bit, perhaps there's something I could have tried? ). They didn't have a 720, so I haven't tried the 720IS in low light yet, would love to see an in-depth comparison.

I'm open to non-Canons, but the AA battery and ease of menu/feature use keep bringing me back to looking at Canons (not to mention the warm fuzzies I have for the A70...)

Any suggestions are appreciated!
bosque303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2007, 6:41 PM   #2

digicams will never be as good in low light as even the cheapest DSLR, but there are things you can do to a point. my husband has about the steadiest hands around, so he can shoot with a shutter speed of 1/16th and get the shoot every time. he can get a surprising number of shots at an even slower speed so that they look like he used a tripod, but i can't do that. i'm lucky to get one out of 5 shots at 1/16th.

if you go to a higher ISO setting, you can get more light but a grainier pic - sometimes too grainy, depending on what you want to use it for. also make sure the f/stop is set to its openest setting.

but if low light pics are important to you, you might wanna bite the bullet and pick up a cheap dslr with built in stabilization.

i'm a big fan of the canon A series cameras. i think they get good quality for the buck, and pretty good quality compared to other cameras in their price and size range.

i suggest you take a close look at the sample pics for both cameras.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote