Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 1, 2007, 12:31 PM   #1

I am stealing the form for asking questions from another site. Hopefully, it will be helpful! d like to buy my boyfriend a digital camera for Christmas. I'm on a budget, but I don't want it to be crap. I'm looking at places like Newegg, Overstock, TigerDirect for deals and refurbished versions.

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.

Between $100 and $150. I'd like to stay closer to the $100 to $125 range.

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?

Doesn't matter much, but smaller is better.

How many megapixels will suffice for you?

Whatever will meet image quality needs specified above. I think maybe a 6 or 7 would be adequate. Or maybe a 5 would work?

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify)

I'm not sure...

* How important is "image quality" to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

Do you care for manual controls?

We are both clueless about digital cameras, but fairly adept with film SLRs, so he could handle a camera with some manual options. That being said, digital SLRs are definitely out of my price range and a serious camera is not what I'm looking for right now.

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?

This camera would be serve as a snapshot camera, for vacation pictures, facebook profile stuff, pictures of furniture to sell on craigslist, and the like.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?

He will not be blowing the pictures up to poster size, but I'd like them to still look sharp, say, as his 15 inch screen laptop's screensaver.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?

Yes, want to give him a camera that will take sharp, vibrant pictures, even in lower light conditions and indoors.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?

Maybe, but not primarily.

I think the most important things are shutter delay and picture quality. I'd like as little shutter delay as possible. Pixelated and muddy photos drive me crazy and I cannot in good conscience give him a camera that'll do that. I'm okay with last year's model, if that means I can save some money. This would be his first digital camera.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

The ELPH series seems to be popular, as well as the A series Canons

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)

Image Stabilization seems important...

Thanks in advance for your advice!
dana203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2007, 3:38 PM   #2

"...I don't want it to be crap."

"I'd like to stay closer to the $100 to $125 range."

smaller is better. "

image quality = 10

want to give him a camera that will take sharp, vibrant pictures, even in lower light conditions and indoors."

I'd like as little shutter delay as possible."

If only great digital cameras cost $100...people would never have to go out and spend thousands of dollars on cameras, lenses, etc. I don't think I could ever recommend a camera to you without fearing you'd hate me because the camera didn't meet your expectations...alright...I'll try...

You choose...Canon A570 -

Currently available at amazon for $150.

Fuji F20 - http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_.../fuji_f20.html

Currently available at amazon for $140.

The Fuji would be better in low light.

The Canon has IS.

Good luck.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 4:29 PM   #3

I agree with Rinnie on this one. The Canon A-570IS is under $(US) 200.00 and provides a lot of bang for the buck and gives you IS as well. It is a very highly regarded popint & shoot camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote