Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 2, 2007, 8:29 AM   #1

Hi again.

I'm still undecieded about what to go for in terms of an entry level DSLR or a compact super zoom. A lot of you have helped me with advic on that subject in another thread.

Whlst browsing in some of the local photographic shops around Copenhagen, I noticed the Olympus SP-560 UZ at an ok. price.

I was wondering if any of you have tried the SP-560 UZ and what your opinions are?.

Otherwise apart from there being no hot shoe, it seems to compare quite well with the S15 and is a couple of hundred kroner cheaper. After giving this a bit more thought and reading the review I suppose the FZ18 has to come into the equation as well. I think the SP-560 UZ is the cheapest of the 3 over here, but of course that maybe goes hand in hand with what you get?
cph.shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2007, 10:07 AM   #2

Of the three cameras, the Panasonic FZ-18 and the Canon S-5 IS seem, in my opinion, to be the better choice. The FZ-18 seems to do better at higher ISO settings, up to ISO 400 and 800, in a real pinch. And the hot shoe on the S-5 IS is very useful but on the S-5 IS, the ISO has to be kept at ISO 200 and below to maintain image quality.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 12:18 PM   #3

I have the SP-560 and like it. It's sturdy, focuses faster and better than its older brother, the SP-550, has face detection. I also like its H1 burst mode (7 images per second for about 3 seconds at 3 megapixels at ISO 400 or above.

However, it seems that the FZ-18 is getting the most favorable reviews because of its great lens and superior performance (3 or 4 frames per second at full resolution). The people that critixze it usually don't like its heavy noise reduction. Check CNET for their review of it. Alsodcresource.

The one thing that the FZ-18 hasthat I wish the SP-560 had is the ability to use SD cards.

Check out imaging-resource.com and megapixel.net for theirreviews of the SP-560.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 1:06 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback.

As I wrote in another thread, I prefer the feel of the 560, I think the FZ18 feels a bit "plasticy", especialy around the lens, but everyone seems to rave about it.

It's a tough choice as there isn't very much in it money wise.
cph.shots is offline   Reply With Quote