Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 8, 2007, 3:10 PM   #1

[align=left]:?Okay, first of all, don't laugh!!! I have a 20 year old non-digital Minolta Maxxum 7000 35mm camera that has taken lots of great pictures over the years (lots of years). I also have a 35-70 Minolta lens and a Sigma 75-200mm. This camera and these lenses took good shots while my kids were growing up and and in all kind of sports indoors and outdoors as well as dance recitals and plays. I am a novice. The camera and it's auto focus was completely responsible for all the great "family album" shots I took. I'm now ready to move on to a digital camera, but so far I am disappointed. I have used my now grown children's digital cameras (Canon ELPH 6MP and Canon S5) to take pictures of the grandchildren (6months up to 8 years old). If the grandchildren are moving around any or changing expressions, I don't get the shot I was after. I have no idea if this is shutter lag or ????. Before I buy a digital, I'd really like to have some opinions of which camera would be best for indoor and outdoor pictures of active grandchildren. I am willing and able to learn to use the features necessary, but I'd still enjoy the convenience I had with the auto focus.[/align]
zhippl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2007, 10:16 PM   #2

First, Minolta is gone. They merged with Konica some time ago, and Konica-Minolta sold their camera business to Sony. Sony's current equivalent to the 7000 is the Alpha 100, which will work in all respects with your current collection of lenses.

Second, a dSLR, like the Sony Alpha 100 will give you all the tools you are acustomed to with the Maxxum 7000 PLUS all the tool s of modern digital cameras.

I suggest you check out Sony's website: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...ategoryId=3769
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 4:49 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I was thinking the same thing.

Try one of the Sony DSLR cameras - the Alpha 100 or 700 depending on budget.

Just combine all your knowledge about photography, and all your digital knowledge from the P&S cameras, and you'll be in good shape.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote