Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:03 PM   #1

I am looking for a camera similar to the A710 or A720 in features but with a faster flash recharge time. The A720 & 710 can take up to 8 seconds for the flash to recharge which makes it very annoying when taking photos of the kids.

Today I looked at the S5 in the shops. Does anyone know what the flash recharge time is like on the S5? I don't want to pay $200 more to upgrade if it will be no better. Also, when trying out the S5 in the shop, even when not using the flash, it seemed to take a few seconds to write to the SD card. But when I put it into Action mode it took the shots instantaneously. Is this a problem with the Auto mode? Is there any way to speed up the shots without being in Action mode?

I would really welcome any views from S5 users and also recommendations of other cameras. The must haves for a camera for me are:

- At least 6MP
- Fast or at least reasonable flash recharge time
- At least 6x optical zoom
- Optical image stabilisation
- Viewfinder

Thanks
Sarah37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:37 PM   #2

An S5 is the right direction to go, but if flash photography is an important part of the picture takingyou are doing, and you want faster recycling you need to also be getting a dedicated flash to go in that hot shoe on the S5. You can then use nickel metal hydride batteries in the flash for virtually instantaneous recycling.

The Canon 220EX would be an improvement at a relatively inexpensive cost, considering it is dedicated...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...TTL_Flash.html

It shows a recycle time of 4.5 seconds, and I'm sure that's with alkaline batteries. Use the re-chargeables and I'm sure the times get shorter.

The BEST option would be the 430EX..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...TTL_Flash.html

With this flash you have the option of bouncing the flash head or mounting a light modifyer for better QUALITY light, and longer working distance.

Staying with just the built-in flash on any camera will always be settling for less, both in terms of recycle speed, distance coverage and flash image quality.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:46 PM   #3

Thanks for this. I really wanted to avoid having a separate flash. Flash photography is not a huge part of my photo taking, but it is so frustrating when taking photos of the kids inside and having to wait 8 seconds between each shot.

Do you know of any other cameras with in-built flash that may be quicker?

Sarah37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 8:11 AM   #4

The Fuji F40 and the Fuji S700 are supposed to have quick flash recycle times.

AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 8:27 AM   #5
Administrator

Steve covers cycle times with flash in each camera's review conclusion section for most models he reviews (see the last page before the sample images in each review).

Note that ISO speed and distance to subjectwill cause flash recycle time to vary. That's because the closer you are to a subject, the shorter the flash burst can be for proper exposure (so, the recycle time is faster since the capacitor isn't fully discharged).

ISO speed also impacts it (because a shorter flash burst can be used at higher ISO speeds). Lens brightness also impacts it, and with the majority of smaller models, lenses lose light as you zoom in more (so a longer flash burst is needed to illuminate a subject if you are zooming in much).

Battery type also influences it. As a general rule, models using smaller batteries (or 2 AA batteries versus 4 AA batteries) are going to take longer to recycle when everything else is equal between models (and it rarely is).

For average times, just read the review conclusion sections here for models you consider. Steve measures it for most models he reviews.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 3:39 AM   #6

Sarah37 wrote:
Quote:
it is so frustrating when taking photos of the kids inside and having to wait 8 seconds between each shot.

Do you know of any other cameras with in-built flash that may be quicker?
Had this same problem about a year ago when I was getting frustrated with my Canon A-series - 8 secs recharge time.

Ended up upgrading to the Kodak Z-612 and was quite happy with the recharge time of the onboard flash. But don't expect it to be effective for more than a few feet to your subject.

Kids performing onstage, even if you are seated on the front rows, don't come out too well with the onboard flash - not enough power.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote