Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 11, 2007, 2:54 PM   #1

I posted earlier about wanting a camera with faster flash recharge time, and have now noticed a Panasonic camera that seems to be quite good, the FZ18.

Have always had Canons in the past, the A710 and have also had a go at the new A720. These 2 in particular have very long flash recharge time between shots, sometimes up to 8 seconds, which is very painful when taking photos of the kids.

I am after a camera with at least 6x optical zoom, preferably more, that has great picture quality, optical image stabilisation and one that is fairly easy to use. I mainly use auto mode but do like to have the option of using an action setting at sports days etc. And a big thing for me - I want the flash recharge time to be quicker than my Canon. But I guess at the end of the day, picture quality is paramount.

I have never used a Panasonic - can anyone help me on how this camera would compare in picture quality to my Canon, and comment on the flash time and anything else.

One other thing, I have noticed there is also a FZ8 - how do the two compare?

Sarah37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2007, 4:10 PM   #2

The FZ18 has more optical zoom than the FZ8 (18x vs. 12x) and more pixels (8 vs 7). The reviews say it has less purple fringing but also has more noise. The flash time is similar - about 2 seconds.

The pictures look good on the photo-sharing sites, but the color is different from the Canons.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote