Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 14, 2007, 8:39 AM   #1

I Would like buyan EOS Digital Rebel XTi , and aCanon Ef 28-135MM.

Is the body too small for the lens?

If I buy Is it working?

Thank you
ammanda sanches is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:50 AM   #2

Relatively speaking the 28-135 is NOT a big lens. It is not out of proportion to the XTi. And yes it will work quite nicely within the constraints of the lens. In other words, if 28-135 is the right focal length for what YOU want to shoot, and variable aperture is acceptable for what YOU want to shoot the lens will work fine.

But, of course, those are the key questions - what focal length and aperture does YOUR photography require?

If you don't know yet: i.e. you're just starting out and really don't know what lens is appropriate, then may I ask: What types of photos do you intend on taking?

The biggest drawback to this lens is it isn't very wide on a camera like the XTi. That 28mm behaves like a 45mm lens because of the sensor size in the camera. That means for indoor shots and wide-angle landscape shots the lens isn't really wide enough.

If that isn't a problem for you then the 28-135 is an excellent walk-around lens - I used it for years with a 300d, 20d and 1d camera. But I also had another wide angle lens (17-40) that I used when I needed wide angle shots. I preferred the reach of the 28-135 vs the wide angle of the 17-85 (which is a lens canon designed to be the DSLR equivelant of the 28-135 lens). The 17-85 is another good alternative if YOUR photography requires a wider angle and less reach.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote