Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 18, 2007, 12:50 PM   #1

I am in need of a new compact digital camera. I am going to New York in March with my college and I do not want to take my DSLR as it is too much of a risk to break/lose and I dont want to spend my time setting it up.

So I want to take a compact. I used to have an Olympus Fe170 which was alright but I have since given that to a friend, so I am in need of a new one!

Because I do graphic design the quality is the most important, especially colours as I will be using it for portraits as well. My limit is £150 as this wont be taking over from my DSLR, it will just be a more convinient alternative for days out etc.

I was looking at:

Canon Ixus 75

I like the overall design, but The Gadget Show said it was a really bad camera; one of the worst they have tested, yet on some online reviews it wasn't too bad.

Fuji FinePix F50fd

I like the design of this as well, 12 megapixels would be useful for larger prints but from the test shots the images came out really grainy.

I know I should really test them but being near Christmas I was hoping just to be able to go in and buy one without having to choose then and there, then I could have it ready for Christmas outings!

If you have any other suggestions please let me know! But it must have atleast a 2.5" screen, face detection is preferred, A and S modes, £150 or less, and it most importantly must rendor colour very well; I really like vibrant photos!

RadicalRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2007, 3:49 PM   #2

I don't agree that the Canon Ixus 75 (the SD750 in the US) is a bad camera, but the Ixus 950 IS (the sd850IS in the U.S.) is better as it has image stabilization. It might be at the limits of your resources, but it's one of the best ultracompacts out there.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote