Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 22, 2007, 7:58 AM   #1

Looking for a new digital camera for my wife. We have had 4 so far, the last being a Canon S-30. She does not like the last two Canons we've had because she gets more redeye & blurring.

Her hobby is quilting so many pictures evolve around quilts made by her, her friends and indoor quilt shows. Lots of indoor family fotos. A typical picture would be a shot of a queen/king size quilt spread out on the floor with lots of overhead incandescent lighting or hanging on a wall with fluorescence lighting.

Usage, 40% indoor at home (has poor natural lighting)
30% at large indoor quilts shows
10% grand-kids outdoor
20% scenery or outdoor quilt shows

Requirements, simple to use
great redeye control
vivid colors
able to zoom in to pick up quilting details
compact to sub-compact size (fits in purse)

Not required, manual control, macro mode, movies, sound, RAW mode

Other preferences: AA batteries because she takes off with camera & not the charger or forgets to charge them. We always have lots for AA's around and they can be picked up anywhere.
Quick start up time would be nice as well as fast flash response.
A good reliable mainline brand.
SD or CF cards would be nice because I have lots of them but not a major factor, I download with 15 in 1 card readers, so camera to computer interface is not important.

We don't print many fotos but do look at them on high performance digital monitors using high end graphic cards where she can explore the details of the quilting designs. While my hobby is building high performance computers I am not into spending hours toying with Photoshop or similar tools to improve the image.

Thanks everyone in advance
sawdust236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links