Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 26, 2007, 3:35 PM   #1

I've had my Olympus C3040, 3.3 megapixels since it first came out. I love it. It does all I need it to do, which isn't much. But it is big and I wanted to find a smaller camera that was easier to carry around with me.

We bought theSony Cybershot Sony DSC-W90 (8.1 megapixels) and I took a bunch of pictures with both cameras. The old Olympus seemed to have much cleaner and sharper pictures. The Sony pictures were grainy/filled with noise. I tried all the various settings. On the Sony I finally got something semi decent if I went for the smallest picture but even then, I wasn't wowed by it. I bumped the Olympus up to the largest size picture and it was still crystal clear.

I'm lost as to what to look for in a replacement. Here's what I need it to do:

Mostly automatic, point and shoot unless. I don't want to have to adjust something every time I pick up the camera.

On the small size. If it fits in pocket, that's great.

I'd like an optical view finder but it's probably not a deal breaker.

Image stablization and face detection would be nice.

I take 80% of my pictures indoors so that's where I really need a good performance. I don't want to have to add an extra flash attachments in order to get a nice interior shot.

I print some pictures out but not a lot. I'm wondering if a high megapixel count is overkill for me. Will I always get grainy/noisy pictures from them?

I appreciate any leads. I've reading the various reviews here for 3 days and about now my head is ready to explode from all the confusion. Thanks in advance.

SusanWrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2007, 10:01 AM   #2

I guess you're starting to realize that the megapixel race isn't all it's cracked up to be. Not only are the manufacturers cramming more pixels into their sensors, the sensor size is smaller than on your old Olympus, intensifying the problem. They try to clean up their act with aggresive noise reduction algorithms which only serve to remove detail from the pictures. So what's a prospective camera buyer to do?

Try to find a camera that meets all of your requirements - sorry, I don't think it currently exists. Optical viewfinders are great, but they are few and far between on compact cameras. And unfortunately, the ones that do have them don't seem to be particularly adept at indoor photography.

I think your best bet at a compromise would be the Fuji F40. It's about the same size as the Sony, but it has a larger sensor than the Sony or even your C3040. It has face detection, and a more powerful flash than the W90. Fuji's are usually better in low light situations than the others, so...that would be my suggestion.

Good luck.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:42 AM   #3

Thanks so much for both the info and the tip. I'll go take a look at the Fuji.
SusanWrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 2:13 AM   #4

Hi Susan, you can use flickr's "camera finder" tool to check photos from the cameras advised here.

I'd recommend that you get either Canon Sd850is or sd870is, but again... that's me.

Fuji is famous for low light pictures, but that's not the only thing to be considered, in my opinion.

And by the way, I'm looking forward to getting rid of my Sony as well.

Good luck!

Lila is offline   Reply With Quote