Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 29, 2007, 9:38 AM   #1

I need help!
I am trying to find a camera that will take good still images (6+ Mpix), 5+ optical zoom, manual controls, but also does MPEG-4. I spend lots of time camping and hiking and don't want to carry two cameras, still and video. It has to be a flash memory based camera because optical disks and hard drives don't survive the backcountry.

There are many excellent still cameras out there but their video compression is very low (AVI) and will fill up memory cards much too fast.
I had the Sanyo Xacti C6 and have been very pleased with it (well, until I dropped it in the lake..) other than the useless flash for those indoor shots of the family.

The few cameras that I can find with MPEG-4 often don't allow for optical zooming when in video mode. I just bought a Kodak Z1275 which seemed to have the features I wanted. Unfortunately the zoom motor is so loud it drowns out the audio when recording. I've noticed some manufacturers (Samsung) get around the motor problem by muting during zooms. This isn't a good answer for me. The Xacti could do a quiet zoom in a small package, why can't others?

Thanks for your help!
dasquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links