Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 30, 2007, 9:55 AM   #1

I'm participating in a sponsored trek from Katmandu to the Base camp of Everest at the end of feb.

due to the lack of electricity! i am looking for a manual slr and was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a camera that would be suitable for cold, altitude and running on normal batteries

many thanks for any help

sorry had put this in the wrong forum earlier!
paizay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2007, 10:38 AM   #2

First, I think there are only two companies that still make 35mm film SLRs: Canon and Nikon.

Second, the prolonged cold and high altitiude are extremes that most cameras are never subjected to, and that most manufacturers won't test their products for in advance. So, to be sure, I thing you should check with the manufacturers themselves.

Third, I presume that you aren't going alone, that you'll be going with a guide on an organized tour. I think that an invalueable source of information on the types of equipment that do well in that environment, would be the tour organizers. Have you checked with them to find what they have to say on the subject?

Fourth, both Canon and Nikon have been making 35mm film SLRs for years, and no doubt, samples of each manufacturers products have already been where you're going. I'm fairly certain that the top-of-the-line products from each company would be able to survive and function where you're going.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:02 AM   #3
Super Moderator

You don't state your budget, but there are a few other options you could consider.

In the new market there are rangefinder cameras from Voigtlander, Zeiss and Leica - depending on the amount of cash you want to spend. And as TCav says, SLR cameras from Nikon and Canon.

And in the used market there are a LOT of old 35mm film cameras around. Olympus, Pentax, Nikon, Canon - there are good options for all of them and some pretty good prime lenses.

You could even consider medium format film cameras on the used market - there are some very good bargains available.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote