Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 9, 2008, 8:23 PM   #1

I would like to buy a digital camera and my choice is limited to: canon a720is, canon sx100is and olympus SP-550UZ.

what is the best between those cameras?

rafed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2008, 9:42 PM   #2

How much do you want to spend?

What do you want to take pictures of? Daytime? Nighttime?

What experience do you have with (digital) photogrpahy?

robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2008, 9:58 PM   #3

abt 200$ to 400$ , outdoor and indoor photography day and night and video.

I have an olympus fe-280 but I did not like its image quality and its rechargable battry.

rafed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2008, 10:37 PM   #4

3 different types of cameras here.

The SP550UZ is an ultrazoom with an 18x optical zoom lens. It's larger than the others. It's been replaced by the SP560UZ

The SX100 has a 10x optical zoom lens. It's smaller than the Olympus and uses 2 AA batteries.

The A720IS has a 6x optical zoom lens. It's the smallest of the cameras.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:42 PM   #5

Agree with AndyformVA and robbo.

Those three cameras are from different types...picking one should be easier if you know what kind of camera you want, what you want to do with your camera, etc. IMHO, it will be more difficult to choose between Fuji S8000fd or Oly SP560UZ:-).

For example, if i'm shooting wildlife, i'll pick SP-550UZ (why don't you buy the newer SP-560UZ, anyway?) for it's zoom range.

If i just want to shoot my family around the house, or friends when we're hanging out in a cafe, i think i'll use A720is because it's small and the zoom range is enough (perhaps more than enough).

I think SX100is is something in between. the body's slightly larger than A720is (but still far smaller compared to SP-550UZ) and the zoom range sits in the middle.

as long as i remember, A720is still has an optical viewfinder, SP-550UZ uses an EVF, while SX100is has none (just big LCD).

another example, I have Fuji S9600 (as big as small DSLR) with 28-300mm. It's a great camera, it's my pride. I've taken pictures of 2 weddings (unofficially:G) and the camera's good enough for me.

But now i'm looking for Canon A570is to take pictures in a "less important" occasion such as karaoke or dinner with my friends. I'm sure my Fuji will perform much better than the Canon but sometimes, i need something easier and lighter to carry. That's also why I won't need something as big as Oly SP.

But if you just want to know the best of three, i think my answer will be Oly SP-550UZ.
DChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 2:24 AM   #6

Canon is the only brand I will buy now
weing12 is offline   Reply With Quote