Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 13, 2008, 8:55 PM   #11

Well, here's a puzzle. I too own a Kodak z730 (and never found a review of it either) and while I've been quite pleased with the pictures it takes, I've found the lag between flashes quite slow--much slower than my Fuji s5200. Perhaps it is a quirk of your particular camera.
Maybe you already have just what you want. Do you want more megapixels per se or are there other features that you are looking for? I can understand wanting a camera with a different/better lens or more features or generally better IQ or perhaps a different size, but if it is working for you otherwise why do you want more megapixels? Are you making larger than 8X10 blow ups of your pictures? Do you crop a lot?
Lots of times newer is not necessarily better, and sometimes more megapixels means worse pictures.
Good luck with your search. I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 9:01 PM   #12

I was wondering if it was just my camera. I was at a mall playcenter with my daughter today snapping away and another lady asked me why my camera snapped so fast. It is wonerful. I do crp a lot though. I tend to shoot so fast that I don't use the view finder to line up the shot. I just shoot and fix them later on the computer.

starfishthreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 1:00 AM   #13

The Canon Powershot series (I own two models) seems to suffer from long flash recharge times - even the S5IS can take up to 8 secs for the flash to recharge after it fully discharges specially on long-range flash shots.

The Kodak I own (Z612) recharges very, very quickly, which is one of the reasons I bought the Z612. I expect the other Z-series (7 & 8) would recharge as quickly - I could almost shoot flash shots as fast as I could depress the shutter.

If you want to stay with a p&s, an option is a digicam with a hot shoe so an external flash can be used. Some external flashes can handle even burst shots on flash.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote