Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 12, 2008, 1:50 PM   #1

I am not an experienced photographer at all, but i love to make nice pictures. Day photos mainly, but i will also be going to the desert and want to make good pictures of the night sky. Plus in the north i like to take photos of the northern lights (aurora) (if i get a chance).

The A650 has 12 Mega pixels. Quite alot, as compared to the S5 only 8. However i think the image sensor is larger on the one? Not sure how that works...

Which camera do you guys recommend. Or should i go for another brand?

I am open for anything.
agpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2008, 2:42 AM   #2

I love Canon ... That is the only brand I will buy now .. I have used a Kodak and the quality, I was just not impressed at all .. But that is just my opinion.

Recently I just bought Canon S5 IS to my old Kodak for only $300

I've used the camera for a couple days now and taken about 400 shots with it. It is pretty good, although I want to share my thoughts on a couple things that other reviews have brought up.

It's also a great camera for taking indoor portraits with flash, as well as outdoor photos.

weing12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 1:47 PM   #3

Thanks for your info. Sounds like a great camera.

One question, can i get a protection (uv) lens for this camera? To protect it from various elements?

agpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 2:50 PM   #4

You can get a UV, other filters and various additional lenses for the S5. For any of them, you'll need an adapter. Canon sellsa plastic adapter but I'd suggest you try looking at lensmate. They sell a metal adapter in both 52mm and 58mm as well as filters and lenses to go with the S5.

Good luck and enjoy your new camera.

JohnGaltNY is offline   Reply With Quote