Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:44 AM   #1

I'm about to replace my Powershot S40 which has been marvellous over the years, but is getting a little tired.

To be honest I've lost touch with the fast moving markets so I need a little help. I am used to digital and indeed have some quality DSLR gear, but need a good compact for the times when the practical side of things outweighs the DSLR side.

I was thinking of the Canon G9, but I've heard some rather disappointing reviews on it, by other members of this forum.

Price wise, it doesn't really matter that much, but would like a decent zoom, while still having around 28mm - 35mm at the wide end.

I wouldn't want any more bulk than the G9, but would go smaller, so if anyone can help I would be grateful.
boywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:22 AM   #2

You may want to wait a little while. I heard rumors that Canon is going to release a successor to the S80 and Canon generally announces new products in January or February.

If you want something now and want to stick with Canon, the G9, A650 and A720 are all excellent small cameras.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 10:40 AM   #3

The G9 seems the best of the lot mentioned, and the only one with RAW capabilities. It would be compact, but very versatile. Yes, Canon may be coming out with new cameras soon, but that may also reduce the price of the G9, if there is a replacement.
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote